CapeLinks Cape Cod Massachusetts
CapeLinks Cape Cod: Eastham
History: Settled 1645, named after East Ham, England. Originally named Nawsett (Nauset). Incorporated June 7, 1651, old style. 1763, part established as district of Wellfleet. 1772, part of Harwich annexed. 1797, part of Eastham established as Orleans. 1839, part annexed to Orleans. 1847, part annexed to Wellfleet. March 23, 1867, bounds between Eastham and Orleans established and part of each town annexed to the other town. May 6, 1887, bounds between tidewaters of Eastham and Wellfeet established.
Villages or Sections:
Eastham Center, Great Pond, Long Pond, Nauset, North Eastham, South Eastham, First Encounter, Cole Brook, Thumpertown, Camp Meeting, Silver Spring, Cook's Brook.
Site of "First Encounter" between the Pilgrims and the Indians, December 8, 1620.
Site of Home of Governor Thomas Prence, chosen Governor in 1634, again in 1638, and served in that office continuously until his death in 1673.
Old Windmill, opposite Town Hall on First Encounter Road.
Nauset Coast Guard Station.
Site of the home of Deacon John Doane, near Nauset Station.
want to write something about Cape Cod Eastham? post it here
(advertise here keyword: Eastham)
articles & blogs: eastham
Cape Cod Scenic Tours
Welcome to Cape Cod Scenic Tours! Cape Cod Scenic Tours, based in the mid Cape, specializing in sightseeing tours throughout Cape Cod. Our sightseeing tours are fun filled and leave each visitor…
Town of Eastham MA Overview & Map
Located in the lower Cape area, the town is bounded on two sides by land and on the other sides by water, the Atlantic Ocean and Cape Cod Bay. Once heavily forested, the stands of oak and pine were…
The Ruling Hand
Cape Cod once held the ruling power that rightfully belongs in Boston.
A Black Eye for Blackbirds
Since the men of the Cape who did not follow the sea did farm the land, it was important to them that the corn they planted should have a chance to grow and not be eaten and destroyed by birds.
Eastham Settled By the Pilgrims
Eastham was settled in 1644, by Pilgrims who had grown disillusioned by the agricultural prospects of the parent colony at Plymouth.
Nauset’s Big Boulder
As you drive out to Nauset Light, keep an eye open for Nauset’s Big Boulder. You will spy it roosting in a grove of trees to your right. Wonder how it got there?
Eastham Was Once Nauset
The Town of Eastham on Cape Cod was first known as Nauset. The early history of the town shows that it once also included Wellfleet, Orleans, and certain parts of Truro and Harwich.
Big Eats At Eastham
Eastham was incorporated as a town in 1651. In the summer of 1951 Eastham celebrated its three hundredth anniversary. One day, as part of the gala celebration, there was a giant clambake.
Deed To Eastham
At a special ceremony in August (1951), a copy of the original deed from the Indians which was given to the Town in 1666 was presented by the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to the Town…
Falmouth’s Fame for Strawberries and Turnips
According to Chester A. Crocker, of Marston’s Mills, who was quoted many years ago by Haydn Pearson, writing in a Boston newspaper, Falmouth’s fame not only rested partly on strawberries—a…
Wild Animals on Cape Cod
In 1713, the town of Eastham, much vexed by the depredations of wolves, foxes, and deer, voted that “Three pounds bounty be paid in addition to what is allowed by the Province Law for every head…
French Cable Comes to Eastham
It is only a little less than one hundred twenty-six years since one of the great events of the nineteenth century occurred on Cape Cod. This was the bringing in of the shore end of the new French cable…
Page 1 of 1 pages
Page 1 of 1 pages