CapeLinks Cape Cod: Orleans
History: Settled 1777, incorporated (Namskaket) 1797. Named after the French Duke of Orleans.
Villages or Sections:
Barley Neck, East Orleans, Namequoit, Namskaket, North Orleans, Orleans Center, Pochet Neck, Portanimmicut (Portnomequot), Rock Harbor, Skaket, South Orleans, Tonset, Weeset, West Orleans.
Repulse of British Landing Party at Rock Harbor, War of 1812.
House of Joshua Crosby, Tonset who commanded a quarterdeck gun on the frigate Constitution.
Location of "Jeremiah's Gutter" on Bridge Road, the first Cape Cod Canal attempt.
Beautiful panorama of shore and water at Pleasant Bay, South Orleans.
Meeting House Pond.
Oldest House in Orleans, built in 1712. The timbers were taken from the first church in Eastham which was built in 1644.
La Compagnie Francaise des Cables Telegraphiques, where the North Atlantic cable to Brest begins.
articles & blogs: orleans
Project Graduation Auction
This year’s big fundraiser is the annual Live Auction which will be held on Saturday, April 27th at the Nauset Regional Middle School in Orleans. The doors will open at 5:30pm for auction viewing…
Cape Cod Scenic Tours
Welcome to Cape Cod Scenic Tours! Cape Cod Scenic Tours, based in the mid Cape, specializing in sightseeing tours throughout Cape Cod. Our sightseeing tours are fun filled and leave each visitor…
Captain Kidd’s Pirate Treasure
Captain Kidd, according to local tradition, buried his gold at Money Head on Hog Island in Pleasant Bay, off Orleans.
Cape Cod Canal II?
Is the present Canal the second canal that Cape Cod has had? In one sense, yes. For, back in 1717, and doubtless before then, there was a narrow passage of clear water that found its way through “Jeremy’s…
Page 1 of 1 pages
Page 1 of 1 pages