Asa Shiverick and his sons built many fine clipper ships in the famous shipyard, now marked only by a plaque on a large boulder, at Dennis. The plaque is located on Sesuit Neck Road just as you come over the hill before the entrance to the west side of the town harbor.
Two of the best known clippers designed and put together by the Shivericks were the Wild Hunter and the Belle of the West. The latter was lost in the Bay of Bengal. The last launching of a Shiverick clipper was in 1863.
The Shiverick boats, most of them running about 1000 tons, were launched on high course tides as bare hulls. They were then either towed, or sailed under a jury-rig, to Boston, where the masts were stepped and the rigging attached.
Of the many fine clippers built and launched in Dennis; eight of them were captained by native sons. The Shiverick shipbuilding enterprise was principally financed by Christopher Hall, also of Dennis. Thomas Hall, son of Christopher, sailed in Shiverick vessels as a boy, and later wrote a history of the shipyard, in the form of a monograph.
view large maps: aerial, birdseye, street, satellite, hybrid, topo & aerial | view all mapped places
leave a comment
Related Posts: are tagged with dennis, history, maritime, places
- Pride of Provincetown
- Pilgrim Bill of Fare
- Gaynor & Dent Consignments South Dennis
- Lightning at Provincetown
<< Drum Cellars & Witch Doors | Cape Cod Land Recently Made >>
Leave a Comment:
Read More About Cape Cod